This is all about when a job goes wrong, when corporate America is left to run things with no responsibility whatsoever. Please feel free to comment and commiserate. I'm sure I'll be in need of a co-author to the book this just _has_ to become.

17 October 2005

Today's Word is "Efficiency." Can you say that boys and girls?

Dilbert RatingDilbert RatingDilbert RatingDilbert RatingDilbert RatingDilbert RatingDilbert RatingDilbert Rating

So, Franz wanted me to contact this place about a Web marketing opportunity. I checked it out and it looked okay, so I told the chick to send me the papers and we'd sign them and send them back to her.

You could diagram this as: A->B->C->A

She sent me the documents as Excel files. I passed them on to Franz and waited. I reminded Franz and waited. I reminded Franz again, and he told me to have Lou, the Administrative Assistant, print them out and bring them to him. So I called Lou, passed him the e-mail, he passed the printed pages to Franz and I waited. I reminded Franz again and waited. I finally get an e-mail back that says the addresses of our Web sites are wrong and that he won't sign them until they are corrected. Franz tells me to send them back to the company we're trying to work with, have them correct it, send it back, and then he'd sign it. Knowing how to open an Excel sheet and type, I do this myself and pass it back to Lou to print and give to Franz again. Franz finds something else he doesn't like, so it makes the rounds again. Finally it gets to me and I fax it out.

Now our diagram looks like this: A->B->C->B->D->C->B->D->C->B->D->C->B->A

THAT, my friends, is what corporate management does for you. What could have taken a total of ten minutes instead takes 2 man-hours worth of distraction because some jackass refuses to open a file, make a 3-keystroke correction and print it himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home