This is all about when a job goes wrong, when corporate America is left to run things with no responsibility whatsoever. Please feel free to comment and commiserate. I'm sure I'll be in need of a co-author to the book this just _has_ to become.

18 January 2006

The Skit

I really have them over a barrel on this one. Hopefully they learn something about treating people how you want to be treated from this, but I doubt they can think that deep. You know how when you had that first restaurant job in high school, they treated you crappily and you and your coworkers all talked about quitting at the same time because they'd be screwed? You remember how it totally didn't work out that way? Instead, one person left and na-na-na-na-life went on. This is like a one-man version of that plot, but I'm actually going to make it work.

They're supposed to load new products on the Web site next week, which means HOURS of technical work that E won' be able to do. It's not his fault, it's not what he was hired for, but the fact remains. Plus there are scores of other technical issues that he won't be handling. Plus, there's a consultant in the place meeting with various groups of people throughout the week, which means everything is already lagging behind schedule. Beyond that, two days is just not enough time to document everything I do. I'm not saying they'll die without me, but there are certainly some things that are going to be set back indefinitely.

So I totally left a one-line letter of resignation in Franz's mailbox this morning and signed it "Good Luck." I thought about going in to talk to him directly, but (A) I didn't feel like it and (B) SCREW HIM, let him come to me. Around 10:30, he did.

"What's this?" he asked angrily, holding the letter out to me.

"I'm out"

"Two days?" [My notice. I've never left a job on short notice before. I gave these guys 'til Friday. Hehe.]

"What would you like?" [mind you, at this point I would have let him talk me into staying as late as Wednesday next week. I had already discussed it with the new job and they were cool with it.]

"Two weeks...?"

"No," I chuckled a little as I said it.

He huffed and walked into the server room and showed the letter to John who made a defeated shrug that said "I didn't need this, but I can't really be surprised any time someone leaves this place" and handed the letter back to Franz. Franz walked back to me.

"I thought you were doing good here." [He meant, "I thought you were happy." I acted like he was talking about my performance.]

"You were right. Best you ever had." [Nothing personal, Mike, just talkin' smack.]

"So why the short warning?"

"Because there's no. doubt. in. my. mind that if the situation was reversed, and you wanted to get rid of me, you'd give me less than 2 hours' warning."

"What makes you say that?"

"Come on, Franz, you know how things are done here as well as I do."

** silence that would have been uncomfortable if I didn't feel so good **

"Well, I guess you better document as much as you can before you go."

"I already started."

He turned and walked away in the same huff he came in.

Sweet. And by 'sweet,' I mean 'totally cool!'

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Nero on the new job. I am going to miss your posts about the morons at your office. I hope the posts continue when you start the new job.

The Canadian Chica from the old XR. Gwen

1/19/2006 01:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Allied Insurance Brokers said...

That's just beautiful. I shed a tear. The only way it could have been better is if he had cried...

1/19/2006 03:00:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad. good job.

now let's win ourselves an afc championship, eh?

1/19/2006 03:09:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done! LOL Two days are better than none in that respect though. :)

1/19/2006 11:15:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would make the creation of this blog complete is sending an email to F**k face and all his cronies with a link to here.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I certainly don't. =)

1/20/2006 10:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Mat Weller said...

The thought did cross my mind. I think I'm going to hold it right now as leverage against my last paycheck. They fool with it, I promise to change the names to the actual ones and start a little marketing campaign.

Did you have any trouble getting your last check when you left?

1/20/2006 03:02:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope and I really thought I would. It's out of their hands. Atleast at this point.

1/20/2006 03:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Mat Weller said...

I'll wait and see, then.

1/20/2006 10:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home