This is all about when a job goes wrong, when corporate America is left to run things with no responsibility whatsoever. Please feel free to comment and commiserate. I'm sure I'll be in need of a co-author to the book this just _has_ to become.

13 January 2006

Fish Story 2

So I called Wednesday afternoon and said "I'm not trying to bargain with you or anything. I just wanted to let you know that I went over the figures with my wife last night, and we just don't think we can make a switch for what you can offer. So I figured it was best to let you know today so you could continue interviewing and not waste your time with me on Friday." I told her I was going to be jealous of whoever did get the position because it was as close to the perfect situation as I dared imagine. I explained how we were considering making it work anyway, that the decision wasn't based mainly on money, but how I had decided in the end that it was a big difference in pay and even if it meant me being disappointed, I had to do what was best for my family.

She said she understood what it meant to make those decisions, that she was the higher income in her family too. She asked me to remind her what number I was at now, and what her offer had been. I gave her the info and she said to let her see what she could do. So we hung up, and I was a little nervous because I didn't want this to be a negotiation. What they were offering was very fair for what they needed, it just didn't compare to what I was getting being Satan's lackey.

She called back within 5 minutes to say that she would be able to raise her offer $2k. Really, it wasn't much in terms of the whole, but it was AMAZING insofar as it was a great gesture that they were really interested in me as much as I was in them. I had laid all my cards on the table. They knew the job they were offering me was worlds better than what I had, and they still took a step further in my direction to make it easier for me.

I told her that I would have to talk to my wife, but that if she didn't hear from me early Thursday Morning, she could expect to see me on Friday afternoon. My wife reminded me, yet again, why I love her so much and just said, "I think you need to take this," when I updated her on the situation.

I didn't call Thursday morning.

I made an excuse to not be at work Friday afternoon. I outright lied, actually, which is so against my nature that it really says something about how little respect those above me inspire. I feel "bad" about doing it, but I don't even vaguely feel "wrong," and that's what's important.

I had a pleasant chat with the CFO. I got to meet the other people I would be working with, and they got to ask me questions. I got a tour of the facility. I was treated with the same awesome feeling from beginning to end, and they told me they would be calling with the "official" offer on Tuesday. I guess this means they might actually be off for MLK-Day on Monday, which could mean they get banker's holidays off, which would be AWESOME.

So I owe you an apology for not giving you the whole story sooner. Some of it was theatrics, some was me being cautious not to give myself over to that much hope that quickly, but now you know. And Tuesday we all get the final answer. Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're leaving it at a cliffhanger?!?!

What the heck?!?!

LOL

I hope all goes well next week! :)

1/14/2006 07:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Mat Weller said...

Not by choice, that's the deal. The offer's pretty much in-the-bag, it's just not official until Tuesday. And I'm sure there will be some fun involved when I drop off my resignation, and when they realize that my two half days last week were to go on job interviews.

1/14/2006 09:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Allied Insurance Brokers said...

Can't wait to hear!! Best of luck!!!!

1/16/2006 03:24:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home