This is all about when a job goes wrong, when corporate America is left to run things with no responsibility whatsoever. Please feel free to comment and commiserate. I'm sure I'll be in need of a co-author to the book this just _has_ to become.

10 January 2006

Fish Story


You remember the ooooooooooold episode of the Simpsons where Homer has the best job in the world at the bowling alley, but he gives it up to go work at the power plant because it's for the good of his family? That's what leaving carpentry was for me. I still maintain that it was the absolute right choice. And, to be fair to my current occupation, I have learned a few things I didn't know before, and the money is arguably better than where I was. But the fact remains that it was the happiest I have been in a work situation since my college internship.

Anyway, I had an interview for another job today, and I know everyone wants to know how it went. Well, everyone who reads my ramblings anyway. Except the people that are eating dinner, or curing cancer, or trapped under something heavy. But everyone else is waiting and trembling with anicipation to know how it went.

I have never had an interview go so well. Ever. By the time I was leaving, I was asking them details about the 401k plan as if I already had the job, and they were writing them down because -- though nothing "official" was said -- they did ask me back for a second interview, and they did say that they weren't really interested in doing any more interviews. They were so nice, and we laughed and talked more like friends than people dealing on opposite sides of an interview. Every time I asked a question, it was answered honestly and in exactly the way I would have wanted -- seriously, I couldn't have scripted the whole thing better.

So I told my wife, and my wife's mother, and my son, and they were all very happy for my great experience and they were all very encouraging, and we're all agreed that I should absolutlely take it.

Except...

Except that there's a substantial pay drop involved. Some of it you can argue with saved money on the commute, some you can write off as sanity insurance with no second thought. But we're still talking about a big drop. Anybody who knows me, knows that money doesn't concern me. If I have it, I'm happy to share it. If I don't, I just don't do things that require it. No big deal. But with a family, it's a whole new world. There are two other people's lives in the balance. The decisions aren't as easy as "do without." I don't want to ever see either of them suffer from want, and I would walk on glass for a living to see that never happen.

So, I feel Like Andy Dufresne after clibming out of the sewer. I feel vindicated, and I feel like there really is a business out there that isn't immoral and that doesn't want to rule its employees with an iron fist. I have peaked the mountain of jungle misery and glimpsed the gleaming temple in the valley.

But this time Andy climbs back into the hole because he knows he can't leave without Red. This time the natives catch up and drag me back from the crest. This one was big, but it's getting away. I'll call tomorrow and tell them not to worry about the 2nd meeting on Friday. They may try to counter-offer, then we may have more to think about. But really, they won't counter enough, so I'm going to let it go now.

But I have tasted freedom, and I want more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

remember when we were really young and we didn't have lots of fancy things, and we used to play out in the woods and collect bottles to recycle and build treehouses and tree forts and read books from the library...instead of fancy electronic toys and having to own each book? remember how much fun we had, even though i know there were stressful times for mom and dad and they had to pinch to make ends meet sometimes? it's crazy, maybe, but if i had to rate the places we lived by how happy i was there, brookville would be first. and the nicest house and the suburban neighborhood would be last. and we turned out okay, and we have a really strong sense of family and a lot of values people seem to admire. and we don't make all of our decisions based on money.

granted, i don't know how significant a pay drop you are talking about here, and i don't know how much chance you might have to increase that amount over some period of time. but i'd take the happier dad who made less money over the stressed out, frustrated dad that came with the bigger house and the nicer stuff.

life should be about more than that...and family should be about more than that.

plus i really honestly wish you were happier with what you are doing. i admire your drive to provide for your family, and i envy the joy in your voice when you talk about your son...but i also want you to have something that is yours that sustains YOU...because burnout comes quickly, and i am sure many many people could share stories of how work frustration eventually spilled out into family life in a not so great way.

but anyway...i love you. this one makes me sad.

1/11/2006 06:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Mat Weller said...

Give me some credit...it's not like I'm trying to live in the penthouse of the Ritz or anything. It wasn't a snap-decision, and if anything, while talking it out last night we were both fighting on the side of making it work, despite the cut. It's not about lots of money for us. It's about being realistic about being adults and paying some debts so that we can afford to have a second child some day. It was only my second or third try since I came to this job, and my first in a long time. There will be other opportunities. I wasn't being sappy or sarcastic about the people I interviewed with yesterday. They really did renew my confidence that there might be something out there that I'm trained for, that's worth doing, and is run by people that want me to do it.

Don't sweat it. I'm feeling good.

1/11/2006 10:19:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, it is difficult to make such decisions sometimes. I feel your pain though and in the end as most people say, "it'll work out..."

You never know, maybe something better will come along, but you made a good impression with them so that is something that you can build on. That's always a good thing. Who knows, maybe you can give them a call in a couple of months or maybe they will even call you again. Either way, you walked out of there with a good deal for the future. :)

Great to hear that you had a good interview though but, "once more into the breach dear friend, once more back into the breach..."

:)

1/12/2006 07:38:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home