This is all about when a job goes wrong, when corporate America is left to run things with no responsibility whatsoever. Please feel free to comment and commiserate. I'm sure I'll be in need of a co-author to the book this just _has_ to become.

25 November 2005

In the dictionary, under redundant, it says "see redundant"


This place started selling things on eBay about a year ago. At that time, there was this kitchen gadget we'll call the WonderWheel. Everyone wanted one, it was the hot product over Christmas, we couldn't keep them in stock. But that didn't stop Franz from putting them on eBay. He put 1,000 pieces up there, sold them -- as in, actually took money -- and then made up excuses when people started complaining and shipped them as they came in. It was a huge deal that he never paid attention to, becuase other people (including me) had to pick up the mess, and he only had to smile and accept the bonus check for the sales.

We took tons of negative feedback over the thing, and anybody who uses eBay knows that your feedback rating is your life's blood. It's probably not unreasonable to say that you can reduce your potential sales by 30% for every percent under 100 your feedback rating is on eBay. His little bad business fiasco took us down to around 95%.

Those of us on the cleanup crew have been monitoring and putting a lot of time into it to get that rating up to 96.8% a year later. Lately, he's been itching so badly to get sales that he'll push the edge by, say, putting a listing up on Friday for an item that's supposed to be arriving in our warehouse on Monday. It doesn't thrill me, but I've let it float a couple times because I have just been way too consumed with other work to argue about it.

Today, he asked me to do it with two items that were supposed to be here a week ago. I was not happy, but I grinned and did what I was told. THEN, I'm on eBay looking for some other information, and I see that he has listed 1,000 pieces of a product that is going to be in the spring catalog, a month and a half from now, and that has a "maybe" delivery date of December 5th.

Hello? Moron boy? We're still shoveling from the last time you crapped all over the place, and in you walk, dropping trou', looking for a clean spot to foul up again? Forget you!

I'm going to laugh so hard if this goes the same way as last year. Last year, eBay accounted for roughly 5% of our online sales. This year, it's almost 20%. If we get caught and kicked off eBay, it'll hurt a lot more this time. Heads will roll, and I'll just sit in the corner and quietly point my finger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home