This is all about when a job goes wrong, when corporate America is left to run things with no responsibility whatsoever. Please feel free to comment and commiserate. I'm sure I'll be in need of a co-author to the book this just _has_ to become.

02 February 2006

Resurrection

The new job is awesome. Seriously, I don’t want to bubble over it like a little girl with her love of the week, but I couldn’t have thought up anything better if I had tried. It’s so professional compared to any place I’ve been since my internship, I feel like an adult again. And though I’ve been a little slow these first couple days, I think it’s going to be a very mutually beneficial situation once I get groovin’.

My boss asked me to call a printing company yesterday to quote on the next catalog we do. I was talking to one of the reps, and the conversation started all business then was just chatting like so many business calls are.

“So, you haven’t been there long, right?” the sales guy asked.
“Just a week and a half.”
“Where were you before?”
“A small catalog company called Tyler Gifts.”
“Oh yeah? I know about them. They’re not one of my accounts, but Franz is legendary around here.”
“Yep, that was my boss.”
“So, why’d you leave?”
“I hated the place and I was sure that if I stayed too long I wouldn’t be able to wash off all the scum.”
“Oh.[short pause] Then I guess it’s okay to tell you Franz is legendary for being a colossal prick.”
“The legends are true, my friend.”

I guess I always knew Mike and I weren’t crazy for feeling the way we did about that place, but it’s still nice to have some outside confirmation. Anyway, there are a couple more stories to tell. I’ve been busy, but I wanted to get something here for you all.

Thanks to all who voted in the poll. As it happens, there may well be another option that was not listed there – something I just found out about this week. I can’t get into details just yet, but some of you might be very happy to hear the news.

Oh, and – GO STEELERS!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“I hated the place and I was sure that if I stayed too long I wouldn’t be able to wash off all the scum.”

LOL

I got a good laugh out of that one! Glad to hear that the new job is going well! Don't forget the kid in you though when you're at work, it is good to be an adult, but sometimes you have to let the kid out to play. I know that keeps me sane at my job. :)

Dear Lord, the word verification is getting difficult to read!

2/03/2006 11:17:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home